Principal Advanced Analytics and OR Consultant - Data Science Team Leader
- Careers Site Category:Professional Services and Business Support
- Location:Waterside, British Airways Head Office, London
- Working Pattern:Permanent Full Time
- Closing Date:6 August 2017
Do you have experience in modern data science software/languages and familiar with advanced analytical methodologies such as Machine Learning? Do you want to use analysis to influence decision making and initiate change? Are you an innovative analytical thinker and have an aptitude for challenging current approaches to analytics?
British Airways have recently created a Data Science and Innovation team, and are looking for a team leader to evolve and lead this team. The successful candidate will lead a team of around 5 senior consultants and data exploitation specialists responsible for championing data science/machine learning projects across BA, owning the front end tools for manipulating big data and exploring new uses of data.
The Data Science Team Leader role is as follows:
- Provides the means to automate, and assess the implications of future options, decisions and scenarios through the use of data science and machine learning. Pioneers innovative data science modelling methods/technologies that have the potential to deliver significant business benefit. Embeds best practice in use of new data science software. Thought leader in BA on Machine Learning deployment, including critiquing vendor capability.
- Owns the front end tools of the Analytics Architecture for exploiting big data.
- Provides leadership, and proactively challenges and influences decisions at all levels up to and including Director. Influences approach and goals of client area to be in line with BAs long term interests & strategy.
- Explores new uses of data (internal and external) that have the potential to deliver significant business benefit.
- Contributes to department strategy and assists with aspects of management of overall department community. Encourages knowledge sharing and ensures knowledge from their area is shared with all key people within department and related areas. May represent the department at external events.
- Manages the Data Science team’s project portfolio, prioritises these projects according to BA’s key business priorities and coordinate resource for these projects. Identifies & shapes opportunities for work. Works with line departments to improve their decision making capability through a transfer of skills in data science and machine learning.
- Maintains good relationship with key clients in BA.
- Manages significant projects and/or resources over long periods. Is highly self-sufficient. Determines the key issues, clarifies the scope and shapes the direction of projects on ill-defined and messy, business problems.
- Coaches others in department (on Projects and/or technical skills and/or performance).
- Manages a small team of up to 8 (currently around 5), providing appropriate coaching and development.
- Screens and interviews potential department recruits.
Experience and qualifications
- Proven track record of managing and delivering significant projects that utilise advanced analytical techniques.
- Experience in modern data science software/languages/environments, e.g. SAS, Python, Spark, Hadoop, AWS.
- Familiar with Machine Learning methodologies, and some experience applying these to business problems.
- Experience of influencing at a senior level.
- Maintains professional competence, and keeps up to date with major developments in data science and machine learning.
- Professionally qualified with BSc/MSc/PhD with significant Data Science/Machine Learning/ Operational Research/ Business Analytics/ Applied Statistics content and/or have highly relevant experience.